<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d18993034\x26blogName\x3dRed+Cedar+Writing+Project\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://redcedarwritingproject.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://redcedarwritingproject.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3332046782463705441', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, November 18, 2005

Day Two

Well, Becky and I are sitting in the 3rd row of the ballroom, awaiting Frank McCourt’s entertaining opening speech. I bought his newest book Teacher Man last night, and will try to read a few pages before he hits the stage. We both thought our presentation yesterday was just great and productive and not nearly as scary as we predicted. It was a cold (strike that, very cold) night, and poor Nicole had the usual delays out of the Detroit airport and didn’t get into town until about 11:00 last night. She’s a trooper, though, taking one for the team. ☺ We’re excited about our NCTE sessions coming up and although on little sleep, we know we’ll be ready for our presentation later today. And of course, for our dinner out with the gang tonight!

Okay, maybe I’m just emotional b/c of lack of sleep, but was Frank McCourt the most inspiring or what?! He was so friggin’ funny and honest and empathetic. He can tell a story about a bologna sandwich like it was the written gospel. He reminded me to find the laughable gems (Toby) in my profession.

And then I go to a so-so session. . . ;) No offense.

Next was a superb duo speaking about Asian-American and Native-American literature and film.

And now, I’m about 14 seats away from Joseph Marshall III, author of several books about his native Lakota traditions and incredible storyteller. Very cool. I took it all in, and as much as I wanted to storm the stage and tell him how truly awesome his stories are and how much I love teaching each, even though I’m just a boring old Canadian-Irish-German American, jealous of the tenacity and humility of his culture, I didn’t. ☺ I sat intently, took it all in and left (but not before snapping a quick picture) for memory’s sake.

This has been such a great day. . .sitting in the learner’s seat again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janet Swenson said...

sitting in the learner's seat again
I love that idea, Anne. My "words to grow on" to my own children were, "as long as you can stay in a 'state of becoming' for your entire life, you're apt to be happy."

Sometimes I think the hardest thing to do when we're asked to teach the same courses is to keep learning, to keep growing, to keep becoming something more than we were yesterday.

Conferences sure do offer plenty of those opportunities. Though they cost a fair share of money, it is money well spent. I'm so happy to read your stories of engagement and learning!!
Janet

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home