<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d18993034\x26blogName\x3dRed+Cedar+Writing+Project\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://redcedarwritingproject.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://redcedarwritingproject.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3332046782463705441', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, November 25, 2005

A Pittsburgh-inspired poem

I went to the ALAN breakfast and heard Yann Martel speak about how his book, Life of Pi, was an attempt to write a novel where the main character has faith. "Faith" in that larger sense, not pinned-down to any religion, but more akin to hope/trust/Divine; he also talked about the importance of letting that faith guide us instead of buying in to the ordered, logical world. Those words became fodder for the following poem written during the conference and tweaked at home.


This is where the poem begins.

It was all around me when I awoke
Reason’s gruesome presence
everywhere I looked in the room
every corner line square switch
setting me up to agree to its order

to its definition of Me

Choking my sense of Me

I slowly, casually, reached for a pen
Innocently enough

My favorite pen alluded me
In the ordered semi-darkness

Could the laptop be my friend?
My savior?
Sensing an urgency,
I grabbed the laptop and fled

Finding the most comfortable couch in the hotel
I stretched out my legs and set the laptop in its place
My lap
Actually, on top of my lap
Hmm…I wonder what genius came up with that name

There was a warmth to the plastic that soothed my thighs
The laptop was trying to make friends
And opening it
Its brightness was the smile I needed

I felt the need to write
Three words.

Set reason aside
Set reason aside
Set reason aside
Set reason aside Set reason aside Set reason aside Set reason aside Set reason aside
Set reason aside
Set reason aside
Set reason aside Set reason aside
Set reason aside Set reason aside (youknowthatthingcalledreason,placeittotheside…now,doesn’tthatfeelbetter?!)
Set reason aside
Set reason aside
Set reason aside Set reason aside

Manytimes

So I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home